Hi! I’m Ana, nice to meet you!
I’m the girl behind www.anianywhere.com. “Ani” because my real name (Ana), is too common, and “anywhere” because it sounded good with Ani (and obviously because I could be anywhere too!)
In this blog, I write about things I love… Mostly about my favorite travels and the many reasons to visit Turkey (where I’m currently based).
I come from southern Spain but you’ll hardly ever find me there! Although I do love my country, I have a strong desire to travel and have been always longing for the unknown. This is why right now I prefer being an expat in Turkey than living in my comfort zone in Spain.
I owe this wanderlust to my parents, not exactly because they love traveling but quite the opposite, they hate it! They rarely took me anywhere on vacation when I was a child. So, I grew up in my small town frustrated and always wondering, “Is this really all there is?” Since childhood, I knew I would be a traveler and once I was old enough to do it, I flew away.
When I was 20, I had the opportunity to study abroad and moved to Germany, without even speaking a word of German! I really loved the experience and became obsessed with learning the language. Five years later, when I was finally fluent and life in Berlin was as easy as it could be, I got bored and packed my stuff again in search of a new adventure… I spent a couple of months in Istanbul and fell madly in love with the city. Shortly after, the company I was working for relocated me to Dublin (Ireland) where I spent 6 months.
The truth is, I really liked my old job, but I couldn’t adapt to living in Ireland because I had a big crush on Istanbul. So, in October 2014, I finally decided to go for what made me happy and quit my job to move to Turkey. But, before doing so, I took some time off to travel Southeast Asia on my own and build the blog you are now reading.
In this blog, I want to share experiences and tips for the places I love. I hope it will inspire those considering leaving everything behind to go for what really makes them happy, and be useful to foreigners interested in moving to Turkey or really, to anyone looking for travel ideas. I will mostly share personal bits of advice about places I love and some tips regarding local life in Istanbul, the city of my heart.
More about me
- I have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism and a Master’s degree in Translation and Interpreting. I also have a certificate in Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language and during the last 3 years, I have worked as a Spanish teacher in Turkey.
- I was afraid of dogs until my family adopted one. Right now I absolutely love them and consider myself a dog person. However, I only have a cat that I adopted from the streets of Istanbul earlier this year.
- I don’t like cheese, except for pizza cheese 🙂
- Apart from wanderlust, I suffer from “heliophilia” (desire to stay in the sun, love of sunlight)
- I am very shy but I love talking to strangers. Travel means nothing to me without those random conversations!
- I wasn’t very impressed by cities like Paris or New York. What I really enjoy while traveling are the stories, the cultures, and the experiences. Because of this, some of my favorite countries are the Philippines, Morocco, and Iran.
- I love doing yoga and dancing. In the past, I used to practice belly dancing. Nowadays I mostly dance alone in my kitchen while I cook or clean.
- I enjoy traveling alone. My first solo travel was to the south of Germany when I was 21. After that, I traveled alone in India, Iran and many countries in Southeast Asia.
- I mostly listen to world music but on the other side, I’m a big Shakira fan!
- I’m obsessed with beaches, especially with Turkish beaches.
- I have 3 tattoos: a moon and a star (for Turkey); some birds on my hand that I got tattooed in El Nido which represent freedom; and a lotus flower for my spiritual side.
I’m really excited that you are now traveling with me, so let’s be friends! To get in touch with me, head to my contact page or follow me on social media.